When I left home for the office riding my old bike on Thursday morning, I immediately realized that the seat was too low for me. This was the bike that I used all of last semester, and I didn’t adjust the seat after I stopped using it, so it occurred to me that I must have ridden it with the seat too low all of last semester. On Thursday, I was in enough of a hurry that I didn’t want to stop to adjust the seat height, so I left it the way it was. If I could ride the bike that way for a whole semester, I could do it for another day. It wasn’t easy, though. I huffed and puffed my way up hills that I had easily climbed on the new bike. On Friday, I raised the seat a few inches, which made things noticeably easier, but I still found that I had to keep the bike in the lower gears.
When I returned home from the office this afternoon, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my new hanger had arrived already. Within a couple of minutes, I had installed it on the new bike. I took a test ride down the street, and the derailleur seems to be working smoothly. The brakes could use a quick adjustment, but I’m looking forward to taking it for my commute tomorrow.